Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Marketing to Emotion

Today I did a lot of research for our target audience, for SEO, for content marketing, etc, etc.
All and all I think what marketing is all about (and this is going to sound obvious) is building value.
Bare with me here.
I know this sounds all easier said than done, but if I am stepping back and taking a look at the bigger picture of every marketing campaign I've seen and everything that has appealed to me, it's really about very few things:
a) Making my life easier (cleaning, errands, work)
b) Lessening my stress (money, obligations, time)
Side Note: People will pay a lot of money to save time
c) Making something feel achievable or attainable (beauty, money, luxury, fame)
d) Giving me valuable information (step-by-step, how to, cheat sheet)
c) Making my concerns valid... then offering a solution (debt, debt, debt)
e) Appealing to my emotions (I know, super broad-- Fear [of missing out], jealousy, desire)
f) Puts me in control (or so it seems)
g) Makes a promise (guarantees a result)

I'm sure I'm missing some things here, and I will probably add to the list as my research gets more thorough.

But here's the thing, once you know what appeals to you, now you can start to break that down, figure out what makes it appealing, and determine how this can help you create a effective marketing strategy with whatever brand, product or message you have.

The initial face mask
This was legit my dog's reaction
when she saw me with
the bubble mask on.
Just a short note: I once bought a face cleaner online because of a tutorial from a stranger. This doesn't seem all that strange, right? But it was. It was the first time I had ever bought anything because of a tutorial (and the last). It was not a product that I would have ever used. It was a random person that I had never seen before. And it was on Facebook (one of those random "related" videos that pop up after you watch one video). This was a totally unusual and impractical decision for me... So why did I do it? Well, first, she was a super likable and relateable person, that seemed trustworthy. The face mask bubbled on her face and she displayed all of the same reactions I would have. Second, the product was affordable enough to be an impulse buy. Third, other people were liking, and commenting on the video, vouching for the product and encouraging my initial inkling.
Did the product change my life? No... But learning from my own purchasing impulse did.

Then it got so bubbly!!
Moral of the Story? Emotions are EVERYTHING. People trust other people WAY more than they trust products and if they can watch someone display the same emotions they are feeling, that will hook them.
Bonus: Here's the video!

Comment Your Thoughts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment